Category Manager, Family and Consumer Science/Nutrition, Fort Atkinson, WI (TRN1049)
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin United States
The Renaissance Network, Inc.
Building World-Class Teams to Impact Education
Strategic Search Partners for Education and Technology
Job Title: Category Manager, Family and Consumer Science/Nutrition
Location: Fort Atkinson, WI
Our client has been a pioneer in creating hands-on teaching materials for the classroom for more than 75 years. With more than 96,000 unique items, their portfolio of products includes custom kits and biologicals, art supplies, Early and Elementary learning tangibles, Special Education solutions, Physical Education supplies, and much more.
The Category Manager develops product assortments and curriculum in the Family and Consumer Science/Nutrition category. Our client is looking for someone who has extensive knowledge of this space and will train the right candidate on merchandising. This person will work together with the VP of Merchandising to lead the strategy for their Family and Consumer Science division.
A successful Category Manager will have a unique understanding of trends and progressions of the Family and Consumer Science market. This position is responsible for using their understanding of this market to develop product assortment strategies that meets customer needs. This person will be delivering key financial metrics, including revenue, margin, inventory, and expense targets. A successful Category Manager will develop assortments for multi-channel marketing (print, web, wholesale and web partners, and Sales Team enablement), determine pricing and promotional efforts, and assist Purchasing in the sourcing and vendor selection process.
Job Description/Major Responsibilities:
- Evaluates, curates, and develops product offerings for the Family and Consumer Science/Nutrition division of the company
- Plans assortments that leverage market opportunities and competitive gaps
- Develops products that differentiate our client while providing desired financial return
- Delivers key financial metrics, including revenue, margin, inventory, and expense targets. A successful Category Manager will develop assortments for multi-channel marketing (print, web, wholesale and web partners, and Sales Team enablement), determine pricing and promotional efforts, and assist Purchasing in the sourcing and vendor selection process
- Manages product life cycles, developing alternatives to increase sales and extend sales performance; working with suppliers and Supply Management staff to develop exit strategies for non-performing products and categories
- Maintains good company image, supplier relations and professional correspondence through many daily business contacts
- Portrays a personal and professional image that is consistent with the company’s goals of fairness and honesty to suppliers
- This position involves up to 10% travel, some of which will be international
Required Skills and Experience:
- Six or more years related experience teaching or developing curriculum in the Family and Consumer Science/Nutrition area, or Merchandising
- Classroom experience, curriculum development, or success in selling into the educational market at the district and school level
- Must possess excellent communication skills (verbal and written), organizational skills, time management skills and a strong problem-solving ability
- Must be self-motivated, with good planning techniques
- Some experience in business with an understanding of mathematical principles, economic fundamentals and business writing is preferred
- Experience with direct marketing, e-commerce and/or retail buying and merchandising experience and market exposure a plus
- Ability to represent the company effectively and professionally in dealings with suppliers is essential
- Ability to learn computerized purchasing and inventory management systems as well as PC-based spreadsheet analysis, statistics and data base applications
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher required
- Competitive base salary
For immediate consideration, please attach a copy of your most recent resume.