Executive Director, Brighton (TRN998)
Brighton, Massachusetts US
Position Title: Executive Director
Location: Brighton, MA
The Executive Director is responsible for developing and directing all programs, activities and operations necessary to advance the mission and core values of the Ellen Gifford Cat Shelter. We seek staff who thrive on giving all animals within our care the best possible care our resources permit; who will show compassion and understanding to every animal and person who comes our way; who will perform tasks in an effective and efficient manner; who will conduct themselves in ways that will create a positive work environment that will be beneficial to the animals we serve, to the public and to each other.
- Directs hiring, training, performance reviews and general management of all staff.
- Defines and communicates to direct reports their roles, responsibilities and accountability i.e. departmental budgets; adherence to employment policies and practices, etc.
- Provides day-to-day supervision of direct reports.
- Ensures compliance with all state and federal employment regulations.
- Manages all aspects of shelter operations.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of staff orientation and training manuals, emergency evacuation plan, safety manual and other necessary documents.
Shelter Operations and Organizational Development
Develops an organizational structure and oversees implementation of a budget and plan for managing the day-to-day activities of the shelter including, but not limited to:
- Oversees the care, handling, and well-being of animals.
- Oversees animal intake, care and adoptions
- Oversees upkeep, maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment.
- Implements systems and programs for staff development and training
- Ensures that an active and effective volunteer recruitment, development and recognition program is ongoing.
- Coordinates community outreach
- Establishes and implements policies and procedures along with Board of Directors
- Reviews the organizational structure, policies and procedures on an annual basis and adjusts as necessa
- Approves monthly employee schedules and reviews and approves payroll and leave time.
- Ensures maintenance of personnel files.
Assist the board of Directors with all development and fundraising activities including (not limited to)
- Corporate and individual solicitations
- Special events
- General solicitation programs
- Grant writing
- Annual giving programs
- Web site donations
- Donor recognition
- Major Donor communication and follow-up
- VIP visits
Community Development, Marketing and Public Relations
- Develops and implements, with appropriate members of the staff and committees, marketing, media and public relations activities to promote to potential donors, adopters and volunteers.
- Works with other rescue organizations to strengthen and enlarge individual programs through exchange of information and collaborative efforts.
- Develops relationships with community leaders to ensure support for the mission of the Gifford shelter, and inclusion in matters impacting the shelter and communities served.
Financial Management and Legal
- With appropriate members of the staff
- Full responsibility to adhere to budget
- Implements internal financial controls (including cash receipt and disbursement policies) and ensures staff compliance.
- With board, develops yearly operating budget.
- Oversees and manages the budget cycle.
Board Reporting and Assistance
- Attend Board Meetings and Assist in the planning and implementation of meetings of the board of directors and committees.
- With the board of directors, ensure that Gifford Shelter adheres to its approved bylaws and the laws governing non-profit organizations
Please submit a copy of your most recent resume when applying.