Senior UX Manager, Boston, MA (TRN1134)
Boston, Massachusetts 02116 United States
The Renaissance Network, Inc.
Building World-Class Teams to Impact Education
Strategic Search Partners for Education and Technology
Job Title: Senior UX Manager
Position Location: Boston, MA
Client Company Summary:
For more than 35 years, our client has worked with teachers and educational specialists to provide solutions and resources that are used in the classroom to bring subjects to life and make learning fun. While exam scores may continue to dominate education agendas, research shows that greater benefits can be leveraged by focusing on applying knowledge to expand learning rather than acquiring knowledge to pass examinations. The role of educators is changing. Their portfolio inspires interest in Preschool, Math, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Computer Science. With educational sets, activity packs, teacher resources and programming tools they can make learning inspiring and meet your curriculum needs.
The Digital Platform & Experiences department focuses on digital platforms and solution experience. Their goal is to create seamless digital experience support to projects/portfolios. The department is also responsible for market support and digital support to communication.
The Digital Experience team defines and develops digital services, products, components and experiences that enable a strong, creative hands-on learning experience utilizing our client’s system.
The Senior UX Manager plays a vital role in the development of digital experiences that enable our client’s Education products. One of the key ways to do this is through a graphical coding language where one snaps graphical “blocks” together to build a program and control the digital creation. Scratch developed at MIT is a good example of graphical coding.
Some of the main challenges are:
- Make graphical coding intuitive for kids across all ages and genders
- Design coding interfaces which match technical capabilities and play scenarios for each product
- Drive principles and systems for graphical coding
- Match great UI/UX design with product and business needs
- Collaborate with external partners
- Define and maintain functional and behavioral block-based coding paradigm and framework
- Definition of block taxonomy and block grammar on both principle and specific level
- Maintenance of taxonomy consistency across block/textual implementations
- UI/UX design of graphical coding language
- Test and verification with end users
- Drive co-development with external partners to create the future graphical block programming for kids
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Extensive experience in driving product integrated UI/UX design with a hands-on mindset and match it with product and business needs
- Understand programming paradigms (e.g. syntax, abstraction and grammar) and can translate this into empowering coding experiences
- Experience with cross-functional product development, the educational sector and app concept prototyping is a plus
- Experience working with an agile, data driven and rapid prototyping approach
- Have a curious, positive and open mindset with the ability to understand the perspectives of marketing professionals, engineers, and product designers
- Independent, proactive and collaborative mind-set and the drive to create results
- Previously worked with larger teams at a global company
- Have an interest in toys and the toy industry as well as an understanding of new and emerging technologies
- Must speak and write English fluently
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in computer science, information science, interaction design or a related field