The Renaissance Network
Are you an experienced accounting professional looking for your next career step and an opportunity to join one of Boston’s premier social service agencies?
Catholic Charities Boston is seeking a new Controller. Working with the Chief Financial Officer and teams across the Agency, the Controller manages the day-to-day financial reporting and accounting operations of the Agency to ensure effective reporting and financial management. In addition to serving as a primary contact with auditors and the preparation of the Uniform Financial Report (UFR), the Controller is responsible for the management and development of the finance team.
As one of the largest social service non-profit organizations in Massachusetts, Catholic Charities Boston is working towards their vision of creating a just, equitable, and compassionate society rooted in the dignity of all people. Each year they assist tens of thousands of people to move from crisis to stability to self-sufficiency regardless of religion, race, gender, age, disability, or ethnicity. The Controller is a key partner to teams across the Agency helping to support the financial management of their operations.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate issuance of all Agency financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting standards and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants’ Professional Standards on non-profit accounting
- Work collaboratively with all teams across the Agency including: preparation of budgets, analysis of financial results in a timely manner, review of budgeted to actual results, reforecasts and assistance with financial management
- Work with the CFO to prepare for the discussion and presentation of financial statements to senior management and the Finance, Audit and Investment Committee regarding financial decisions, effective financial analysis and planning
- Work in conjunction with the CFO with the management of the Accounting Department functions, including billings, cash receipts, accounts receivable, contract monitoring, cash disbursements, accounts payable, payroll, general ledger maintenance, journal entry review, reconciliation of accounts and financial statement issuances
- Work with CFO and other senior management to develop, maintain and monitor all financial and accounting policies, processes and procedures, as well as maintenance of sufficient level of internal control
- Responsible for the oversight of finance and payroll teams and creating a culture of excellence by recruiting, hiring, training, mentoring and leading a team of highly skilled, dedicated employees
- Demonstrate thought leadership, listening, problem solving, critical thinking and analytical skills, along with intellectual curiosity to seek continuous improvement and support a positive work environment
- Coordinate preparation of required federal, state, city and municipality tax returns, where applicable, any other regulatory filings
- Plan and coordinates the audit preparation with teams across the Agency
- Assess and maximize financial systems utilized to develop additional efficiency, functionality of use for the Agency, with an eye to continuous enhancement of processes and procedures, within the Agency, through utilizing technology
- Several years’ experience as financial manager/controller of a small to medium size organization or equivalent public accounting experience
- Supervisory/management experience with experience in building, managing and supervising high performing teams
- Experience in automating and reengineering financial processes and procedures
- Strong computer literacy within Microsoft Office Suite products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and knowledge of General Ledger systems and modification thereof to employ new technologies to improve efficiencies
- A valid driver’s license or access to reliable transportation for work related travel; must be willing to travel to office/program sites and events as needed
- A strong commitment to the mission of Catholic Charities
- Bachelor of Science with a concentration in accounting is required; CPA certificate and/or an MBA a plus
Catholic Charities Boston supports communities throughout Eastern Massachusetts by providing services to the most vulnerable populations. Their mission is to welcome and serve, with compassion and respect, all those in need by providing life’s necessities, education, and advocacy to move families toward self-sufficiency. Their programs include Family & Youth Services, Basic Needs, Refugee & Immigrant Services, and Adult Education & Workforce Development. Established in 1903, Catholic Charities Boston serves those in need, regardless of religion, race, gender, age, disability, or ethnicity.
The Renaissance Network – Building World-Class Teams to Impact Education
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are core values at The Renaissance Network. We honor the unique identities of every candidate we encounter, and we’re committed to ensuring an equitable recruiting and interview process.
Share job via