The Renaissance Network
Are you an experienced human services provider with demonstrated expertise in the field of shelter management?
Catholic Charities Boston – one of Massachusetts’ leading social service agencies – seeks a Director of Shelter Services to oversee the shelter programs throughout their network. This role will monitor all sites through meetings, site visits, reports, supervision with Program Directors and collateral connections with funders and the local communities served to ensure the highest level of service is provided to shelter guests.
- Create a culture of excellence by recruiting, mentoring, and leading a dedicated and compassionate team; demonstrate leadership, listening, problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills, along with intellectual curiosity to seek continuous improvement and support a positive work environment
- Ensure shelter directors and staff are supported at each site and as a group; create consistent policies and efficiencies as needed; regularly be present at all shelter sites
- Set clear performance goals and expectations; ensure ongoing performance feedback and annual performance evaluations are provided
- Work with program directors to establish evening and weekend on-call responsibilities; take calls and respond to emergencies on evenings and weekends as needed
- Consult with VP of Basic Needs and Human Resources on employee relation matters of concern as needed; review employee CORIs/SORIs
- Stay current on trends and issues in social services, particularly residential shelters, health safety trends, new and additional funding, volunteer assistance
- Monitor all buildings and vehicles for repairs, maintenance, and upgrades
- Maintain annual master calendar that accounts for staff work schedules, vacations, work needed at sites, reports, and program audits. Assure required staffing coverage is met at all times
- Review, approve and submit payroll bi-weekly for all shelter directors
- Ensure programs’ success in meeting goals/deliverables through regular reporting and timely/accurate data collection for internal and grant reporting and development purposes
- 5 years of supervisory (managing a team) experience overseeing shelter programs
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks while working independently and as part of a team
- Ability to use discretion handling both client and employee matters
- Sensitivity to the needs of individuals and families from varied cultural backgrounds facing barriers to self-sustainability
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and to promoting inclusive working environment
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills with keen attention to detail
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and remote technology
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to perform functions of the position
- Master’s degree in social work or related field preferred
- Commuting distance to Greater Boston area
Catholic Charities Boston supports communities throughout Eastern Massachusetts by providing services to the most vulnerable populations. Their mission is to welcome and serve, with compassion and respect, all those in need by providing life’s necessities, education, and advocacy to move families toward self-sufficiency. Their programs include Family & Youth Services, Basic Needs, Refugee & Immigrant Services, and Adult Education & Workforce Development. Established in 1903, Catholic Charities Boston serves those in need, regardless of religion, race, gender, age, disability, or ethnicity.
The Renaissance Network – Building World-Class Teams to Impact Education
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are core values at The Renaissance Network. We honor the unique identities of every candidate we encounter, and we’re committed to ensuring an equitable recruiting and interview process.
Share job via